In January 2023, the Department of Education had a consultation on Irish-medium education outside of the Gaeltacht. Below is our campaign for the consultation.
Can you help us to increase the provision of Irish-medium education for those who wish to choose it?
The Department of Education has opened a public consultation process to inform the development of a new policy for Irish-medium education outside of the Gaeltacht. You can find more information about the Consultation from the Department of Education at this link.
Our main recommendations for change:
- That the number of students attending Irish-medium education be increased from 6.7% to 20% in the next 20 years
(The 20% objective recommended here aligns with the recruitment objective in the Official Languages (Amendment) Act 2021, that at least 20% of new recruits to the public service will be proficient in Irish by the end of 2030, and with the percentage of Irish-medium advertising that public bodies must now do, arising from the same Act. Also, in Wales the government has committed to the goal that 40% of students will be attending Welsh-medium education by 2050)
- That a new Gaelcholáiste will be established within 5 years in any school area that has a Gaelscoil, but does not already have a Gaelcholáiste
- That a strategy be implemented within two years to ensure a supply of teachers for Gaelscoileanna and Gaelcholáistí (in the case of Gaelcholáistí, a sufficient number of teachers must be available to provide a satisfactory range of subjects)
How to take part in the Consultation?
- Click here to view a template submission you can send or edit for the consultation on Irish-medium education.
- You can send a written submission with the above points and/or other information to POLG@education.gov.ie.
- There is an online survey that you can fill at the following link: https://dessurveys.education.gov.ie/surveys/polg
The deadline for submissions to the Consultation is 16 January 2023.